Make Crusty Artisan Bread in 10 easy steps!
I love good bread and nothing is better than the smell of bread baking in the oven. This is a easy to make basic recipe for crusty bread.
If you would like to make your own special version of Artisan Bread, try adding some herbs and spices to the dry mixture.
One common herb mixture for Tuscan Bread is: 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary and thyme.
Or you could try baking a French Style Bread with 1 tablespoon Herbes De Provence which is an aromatic blend of rosemary, marjoram, thyme, savory, basil, sage and lavender.
Have fun experimenting and enjoy!!
3 cups all-purpose white flour
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water
Be sure your yeast is fresh and not past the expiration date.
1. In a large bowl mix flour, yeast and salt.
2. Add warm water and stir lightly.
3. Stir just enough to mix wet and dry ingredients.
4. Cover bowl with damp cup towel (or plastic wrap) and let rise at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
6. Put a covered casserole dish in oven for 30 minutes to warm up.
7. Take dough out of bowl and place on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper. Flour hands and form dough into a rounded loaf.
8. Put loaf and parchment paper into the hot casserole dish and cover.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Take cover off and let brown for 5-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.